View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 AM
Senior Chief

I will elaborate my reasons for no Nitto 555R and why I like the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials. I had a pair of 295/40/16 Nitto 555R drag radials on the rear of my 89 Conquest TSi 4 cyl turbo. 5 speed manual transmission. Great tread on the tires, which may have been 4 months old or so. I was on a well maintained Interstate, doing 70. Rain starts coming down, light to moderate, and I slowed to 60. After about 5-10 minutes like that the rear slid out, no warning, and nothing visible on the road to cause it. I wound up in the grass, not having gone far enough to cross and hit oncoming traffic. If I would have gone off the right side, I may have been in the trees, and not here to post this.
The Toyos have an asymmetrical tread with enough voids to channel water out. DEFINITELY a better dual purpose tire. The only place I would ever run 555R Nittos again is at the track, but the Toyos are so good I don't see going back to Nittos unless they had a particular size I wanted and only at the track.