Thread: 1970 GTO Build
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv View Post
The parts book I was looking at shows the 9786901 PS pulley to be 69-70 w/AC which I see that car has. I think your issue may be that you are running an aftermarket intake manifold. I ran into that with my 72. It has an old school Edelbrock P4B manifold and where they have the t'stat housing is not the same location as a stock intake. I couldn't use the correct rear alternator bracket on mine as the hole didn't line up with the t'stat stud. I'm only using the front one for now until I replace that manifold with a correct 72 stock intake. Looks like someone bent back that rear alternator bracket on yours to get it to fit the t'stat stud, throwing the belt alignment all off.
Ahh! I didn't ever give the intake a second thought! I would bet that's giving me issues. I'll see if I can tweak it around so everything lines up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
The reason is, you are trying to bolt parts that bolted to a '70 head accessory pattern on a '71 engine/head accessory pattern and as such, used different brackets.
Were the bolt patterns on the heads different from 70 to 71? The heads on the car now were built in late 69, so I figured they'd work properly with the 70 brackets.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National