View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4ben View Post
I'd like to quantify the differences between originals and reproductions. I bought mine from Inline Tube in 2019 and measured 0.163" on the thicker parts and 0.086" for the grooves. The material is very pliable but I don't have any scrunching problems or it moving. What are the thickness of the originals?
too hard to get to them now with the winter storage for measuring, but I don't recall there being much of a difference on the thickness. For me, the repops were nice and pliable as long as it was 80 degrees out and not that big a deal with the curling in the crease under the gas pedal. when Spring or Fall rolls around, they got stiff and became a problem under the pedal. I tried heating them with a heat gun to reform them to bend better in that area, but again, as soon as they're warm, they go right back to nice and soft and pliable.

with originals, there's no real difference hot or cold and it was never an issue again for me. Maybe they've changed rubber formulations since I abandoned repops. I've had 2 sets of them. one bought from Ames in 1997 and the other set from Ames in 2006. After fighting with them for years and frustration I tracked down originals and have never looked back. Again, this is my experience with them, but in both cases, the repops got rock hard when it's cooler out and the factory ones don't.