View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can tell you at idle the oil pressure gauge on the dash never gets above 15lbs. When running down the road it is about 35-40 lbs.
My experience exactly. And if you get the RPM up just a little above idle the pressure jumps right up where you want it. I know my bearings are on the loose side (about factory spec max) but I don't think that is where the problem is.

Push rods were always hollow so as to lube the top end against the rocker but that didn't move much oil. When the holes went in the rockers there was a lot more oil moving. Just try to adjust lifters hot and running and find out. ( I know that isn't the recommended method but we used to do it a lot.)

I did get a slight improvement in pressure by going to 14/40 but not much. Maybe 1 lb. And I always use Mobil 1. Now using the high mileage formula as it has more ZDDP in it. I tried conventional oil in the 10/30 viscosity I had been using. But it did not help so I went to the 10/40. Maybe I'll stay with the 10/40 because the bearings are a bit loose as the crank was polished but has std bearing inserts.