View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
As a pro, which brand do you like the best?

My 69 GTO seats and the Legendary covers are at the upholstery shop right now. When I talked to him last week, he said once he breaks the seats down, he will decide if the old buns should be replaced or not. So if he asks me to buy new ones, it would be nice to know what brand to order and where to get them.
I only use American Cushion Industries (ACI) buns if possible.
Thats what I put into my 66 442's buckets, and thats what I put in my 68 chevelles buckets.

Ames is a reseller for ACI- but be aware they ALSO sell what they call "economy" seat buns which I'm pretty sure are the Chinese made PUI buns. Those have a much higher profit margin, so you can guess which they'd rather sell.

Make sure you specify which you want. I would call when ordering to be certain. ACI buns will have "AMERICAN CUSHION INDUSTRIES" stenciled right on the bun and will have the cloths used for attaching them to the frames glued onto the bun when you open the box.

National Parts Depot is another reseller for American Cushion, as is Legendary. Wellington Classics is a small resto shop out of Colorado who are also resellers for PUI/Legendary, American Cushion and many others- It all drop ships from the mfgs anyway- but they have some of the best prices available on that stuff. I point a lot of customers their way to make their orders.

I used to accept and use whatever buns people would bring me (PUI & TMI are the most common from various resellers and ebay sellers because they are inexpensive- but I'll turn them away now or will charge extra just to use them, along with a warning about how stiff they are. They are a pain to work with and I know the customer won't be happy with how they sit afterwords.

I feel the same about reproduction spring assemblies- they are too stiff and everyone i know who has them doesn't like what they do to the way you fit in the car, so they are a last choice option ONLY if the springs are beyond repairing. I can make a ton of spring repairs and still come out way under the cost of 4 new assemblies... and I know it will "Sit" better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
Hello Ben,
I'll remove the cotton I placed beneath the bun; there's no cotton on top. I'm working crazy hours this week, so maybe this coming weekend I fix this.
No worries, you are on the right path. The second cushion was looking better than the first. I know how hard it is to want to take them apart to redo again- but they will go easier and better this time because now you've gotten a taste for how to work with them.

if you want to try and do another video call while you are working on them let me know and I'll fit it in.

Cheers!
Ben

The Following User Says Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post: