View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't find that post anywhere so I'll just abbreviate it. 68-72 X bodies use the same front steering suspension. 73-74 are a 2 model year specific. The big difference is on the 68-72, the dragline is a non wearable item meaning there are no "knuckles" on it so there is nothing to wear out. The 73-74's have a knuckle at the pitman arm and I believe at the the idler (been a while since I looked at one) which intern now makes the pitman arm a non wearable item and the idler arm only having a wear point where it pivots side to side. The inner and outer tie rods are also different on the 73-74 making them about 3 times the cost of normal inner and outers. Sooo to make life easy, the subframe is the same from 68-74 (also the same for 67-69 F bodies). You can then use all the front steering components from a 68-72 and it will all bolt right up, replacing the goofy 73-74 setup. In the past when you made this conversion, you had to find a draglink of a donor 68-72 but now you can buy them new from any rest parts place. Plus all the other components like the inner and outer tie rods and sleeves, pitman arm, and idler arm, can all be bought from your local auto parts place. If it doesn't make sense, just find some pictures of the steering linkage from a 74 and compare it to a 68-72 X body. Hope this helps.