View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been planning to retire for a few years, then Covid came along and pushed out my plans. I was looking for a house with a big workshop in the NC or southern VA mountains, but inventory dried up and prices jumped like crazy. The houses with a big workshop usually come with a much bigger house than what two people need, so we're still looking for a house my wife and I can both agree on. Once the house with a big workshop is in place, I'll thin down the herd and focus on my favorite cars. I'll probably stay with my current employer until at least this summer when i turn 65, which allows me to go directly to Medicare from my employer's insurance. I'm very close to retirement, just not there yet.

The above is what my mind says. I've gone through my employer's retirement benefits, and I see no benefit to retiring versus quitting if I'm already 65 and eligible for Medicare. My pension is cash balance and I can take it as a lump sum or annuity. Dealing with supply chain issues and off-shore manufacturing is extremely aggravating. So if something gets under my skin, I can leave with no penalties. My boss and the people I work most closely with are all pretty decent people, but company policies are all aimed at sqeezing whatever they can out of employees. When I've had enough, I'm gone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post: