View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Some of these Tri-Power Carbs, over the years, have seen a lot of abuse and installation of the wrong parts and then get blamed when the issue was operator error.

I have had a Tri-Power set-up on the 64 from Day 1 with a short break during the college days where I installed a Factory 1964 4 bbl intake and matching AFB carb for some College Engineering Fuel Economy testing.

Neither carb system ever gave me an issue as far as functioning properly.
The only issue I ever had was because of a improper picture in a Pontiac Advertisement that showed the Tube and Plunger assy installed backward on a 1966 421 engine picture. This is the mechanical linkage set-up for 1964.

I changed my linkage and had a issue with the plunger getting hung up on the intake manifold cross-over when it came out of the tube. I have posted about this in the past.

I have seen repop fuel pumps that showed 9 psi on a fuel gage,
I have seen leaking fittings and poorly made steel fuel lines for the carbs cause issues.
I have seen float settings that were done incorrectly and caused high fuel levels in the bowls. And then there are the mismatched carb gaskets. 99% of the time human error.

The carbs unless butchered rarely are the reason for a fire issue.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.