View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Just Bought me a 79 Trans Am - Opinions wanted

Hi guys,
I just purchased a 79 trans am 2W87K9L car with the original Olds 403 built to run strong with a high 3s posi rear end, bolted on sub frame connectors and traction bars.
I know very little about Trans Ams as I am a GTO guy and am asking some opinions.
I was told it was painted about 15 years ago- it was last licensed in 2010. I drove it an hour to get it home and it runs strong. I received many thumbs up and nice car statements on the way home (especially when I stopped for fuel). Brakes need to be bled but are okay.

Here is the good-
Doesn't appear to have been driven in any Mn winters.
Body is in excellent shape - passed the magnet test. Some small paint bubbles in front of rear wheels.
Frame is in excellent shape with bolted on frame connectors and traction bars.
Built original 403 Olds- I am still waiting on the internal specs - I know cam and internals were beefed up and it was stated to have 400 hp but I believe it to be less than that. It does run strong.
Two brand new black door panels are installed and rear armrests are new black. The original interior color is an off-white. It has an off white headliner.

Here is the Bad.
Not original paint color, no badging or graphics and a less than high quality paint job. Some body panel gaps are uneven (I am not sure that this is typical or not).
No back seat and the front seats are not original to a Trans Am - not sure what they are out of.
Missing AC compressor and I would like to get the AC working.
Dash board has a "teenage" carpet job done to it. I am hoping that the panels are good underneath the carpeting.
Tach doesn't work - any ideas on a fix or where to start looking. I was told that the tach worked the last time it was started - not sure.
Turn signals don't flash but light up when activated - hazard lights flash and work. - Any ideas - is it just a turn signal flasher?
I have ordered a hood release cable for it.
Here are some photos.
What is it worth?
I will send a photo of the cowl tag but it is a chore to get the hood open.
More to follow
Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	538660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	538661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	538662  

Last edited by i4abuygto; 04-28-2020 at 11:33 PM.