View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood82d View Post
That is cool to know. Dan was actually from Maine, so it made sense that the car was assembled in Framingham MA.

My father's also from Maine but moved to this area of NY in the mid 70's after college. Imagine making that 9+ hour trip today with 4.56 rear gears.
No highways yet back then It was all back roads . My RAIV bird was unloaded driven 2 hours to LVD in NY drag raced all day then Driven back to CT engine yanked and ( short block ) swapped in from
The RAII car went back to the track next morning for comparison testing . RAII engine had been blueprinted by merkel on Long Island at a pretty hefty cost . . ( there’s some discrepancy if the whole engine was initially changed or just short block still) but later it was just the short block I believe.
They didn’t want to pay for it to be re balanced and blue printed since it had little use 1/2 season and had the same 9792506 number on it. NHRA accepted it though the rule book says it’s not allowed they also had a special firebird 400 fan spacer that was longer ( I still have it) to place the fan in the same spot (so tech wouldn’t complain) but the engine back. It was exactly the same but 1 inch longer .so look
For stuff like that on your car. If the car was sent to a dealer not a privateer to be raced they were not exactly the same as regular cars .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6612.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	620102  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by turbo69bird; 09-16-2023 at 09:58 PM.