View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 05:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to establish this once & for all.

I am NOT building a Super Stocker, or a Stocker, and will not, unless I win a BIG lottery ! OK ???

As for the questions ask.

I realize that there are small gains to be made by using the latest trick TH200 trans & the very best high dollar 8" converter.

But, as I THOUGHT I made clear, I'm just speculating as to what it would take to build a SS Pontiac ENGINE that will run just barely quick euff to run it's index & just a hair under, since you can't dial any slower than the index for your car.

So, for the car itself, let's just assume it will have the correct rear gear & stall speed converter for the car & engine/cam chosen, and will have a nice TH350 with a 2.75 1st gear ratio.

WHAT I'M ASKING IS FOR SOME OF YOU GUYS WHO DO SUCH THINGS, TO ESTIMATE HOW MUCH POWER CAN BE MADE WITH EACH OF THE ENGINES MENTIONED, WITHOUT PAYING THE BIG BUCKS TO HAVE THE HEADS TREATED TO THE MAX ALLOWED PORTING, UNDER THE NHRA SUPER STOCK RULES.

I thought some of you guys had all sorts of computer programs, with which you can calculate the power most any engine will make. Or will those only work for street engines ?

Like, for a '77 350 Pontiac engine, under SS rules, without max head work, is the engine capable of 400hp, 450hp, 475hp, 500hp ?

Same question for a '70 455 engine. Plus, for the 455's, the torque would also come into play. The big torque could be used, rather than quite so much rear gear, stall, & high RPM.

The rods will be the legal 760 gram Eagle H-beams. The pistons can be Ross, Race Tec, CP. ect. BUT, Adam Strang had posted that he ran TRW pistons in his Stocker for years. I think he said he even set a nat record with those pistons. But, the race pistons will be lighter & have deep reliefs, for use with a big cam.

Speakin of cams, some of the Pontiac Stockers that are running mid to low 10's, are running flat tappet cams, with .425 & less lift. So, for SS, I suppose it MIGHT be possible to run the index with the correct solid flat tappet cam.

With the head limitations as mentioned, I don't know exactly how much power/ET difference we're talkin about, between a solid flat tappet & a roller cam. Maybe some of you guys can calculate that for us, also. As far as I know, there are no lift or duration limits, for SS.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-20-2020 at 05:16 AM.