View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post

The prices I've been getting behind the scenes for 614's and 722's is just ridiculous considering I only need cores, they'd be built specific anyway. I can't put 3 grand into a set of cores and start from there.

I did talk to a couple of our "head" players about building IV's in Iron since prices are getting close to where Iron V's were only a few years ago, but they don't think there is a market for Iron IV heads.
Which I don't understand, if I could buy built new Iron IV's for 3 grand I'd do it, but I can't put 3 grand into 50 year old IV cores and then another 3 grand into the build. Yet people will drop 3 grand to have old D ports ported and built.
You are looking for castings that belong on cars that bring North of 100k. The original service heads bring big money especially when they have never been touched with a grinder. But all RAIV heads have always been desirable, brought good money and are still IMO one of the coolest heads you can run on a Pontiac. The last pair I've seen go for less than 2k was a couple of years ago and they had several cracks and a boogered up port job.

I think you can reach your goal with either head but it will be considerably easier with the round ports and they will be more reliable. The d-ports will have to flow at least 260 cfm but need a maxed out exhaust port to make good power at 7k on a 4" stroke engine (I hope that's what you are using). I'm not sure how the thin ports will hold up under road race conditions. Not uncommon for them to start leaking water after a lot of 1/4 mile passes.

Years ago one of the reproduction parts companies were going to make the RAIV heads but unfortunately the "made in the USA" company they hired decided it was easier to steal the front money and spend years in court than get off their azzes and produce the parts they were hired to make.