View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I plan to contact Dave, he's built a couple sets of KRE's for me, I'll see what he has to say about building some D port Iron heads specific for my application.

The prices I've been getting behind the scenes for 614's and 722's is just ridiculous considering I only need cores, they'd be built specific anyway. I can't put 3 grand into a set of cores and start from there.

I did talk to a couple of our "head" players about building IV's in Iron since prices are getting close to where Iron V's were only a few years ago, but they don't think there is a market for Iron IV heads.
Which I don't understand, if I could buy built new Iron IV's for 3 grand I'd do it, but I can't put 3 grand into 50 year old IV cores and then another 3 grand into the build. Yet people will drop 3 grand to have old D ports ported and built.
I think you can have him set up a pair of your cores for around 1800$. Not too bad really. I have another set of 48s I might have him do.
Butler was hooked up with someone years ago that was supposed to reproduce RAIVs that went 290cfm as cast. Myself, I would like to see some 614s cast in steel. Then you could easily "wide port" them and have something special. Do them with modern chamber and plug placement, killer head IMO.
Stock looking street racers could make some money with them . As far as weight, its not like you are taking 100lbs off your engine like a BBC going from iron to aluminum.

I have kicked myself in the @$$ for not buying some 614s when I had the chance. Way back when I started my 455 build(85) I bought 197 HO heads for 600$, good deal. But I could have had 614 RAIVs for 900$ untouched from a guy Dan knew. I cheaped out. Ended up with nice heads but would rather have the smaller chamber RAIVs.