View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Welting...My Latest Curiosity

Here is something I have been playing with and I wanted to see if any of you had any comments and to gauge the level of interest in possibly reproducing this component in the correct colors. In the picture the short piece of welting is an original sample provided by Steve at MMM. The longer piece is a pre-production sample of the latest material I am testing.

The material is a high quality exterior grade polymer that is color matched to the GM paint code and color for Buccaneer Red. Because every polymer reacts differently to extrusion in regards to gloss and dimensional profile. The purpose of this sample was to verify color and gloss. I am going to have to do a little tooling re-work to correct for variances in dimensional profile. I think those changes will possibly also enhance the level of gloss somewhat. Don't get me wrong the gloss is very close to the original sample.

I am sure someone will want to know why I chose Red to do first. Primarily because I have a 73 Buccaneer Red TA that already has the paint peeling off of the Gray welting. and secondly, red for some reason is a difficult color to match well, or so I have been led to believe. My questions are as follows:

Would this part be of interest and if so what other colors do you think would be viable? (Low production colors might be very expensive, Like a kit to do one car could be as much as $150.00). That still might be less expensive that the body and paint costs to paint the currently available grey profile and it would be the correct color and profile through and through.

Would there be interest in Brewster green, Admiralty Blue, etc. The one year colors?

Anyway, just really interested in what you think.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Welting.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	423291