Thread: Compressed Air
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I used 5/8 tubing to match the original fittings on the compressor.

All the fittings are flared, some single, some double depending on what fittings. I wanted to use as many of the original fittings as possible, some of them were double flared.

Tubing is refrigeration tubing.

Almost all of the threads are 1/2 NPT.

The IR compressor has been perfect so far ... but if I had it to do over again might have gone with a Quincy or similar one step up in quality. I haven't replaced the pressure switch yet but it's pretty much a POS. Original tank drain was a POS. Factory cooling fan (built into the compressor head pulley) was marginal at best, and the cooler you can keep those compressor cylinders the longer it will last.

Compressor head is acceptable quality for the price, as is the motor. The intercooler makes life way easier for the motor since it has a larger depressurized volume to pump into before coming up to speed. Where as in OEM form it's just got about 1 foot of 5/8 tube.

I HIGHLY recommend the Parker regulator, a bit pricey but absolutely spot on, easy to adjust, US made quality piece.

Would have liked to build a proper intercooler for it instead of the single finned tube factory part. Looked everywhere for finned tubing that wasn't astronomically priced but couldn't find any. I figure the extra fan increases the efficiency about 100% compared to the useless factory fan, so I can live with it.

The who shebang added about $600 to the cost of the compressor. But if a person was replacing an existing compressor they'd probably have a lot of it already.
I see you have the Motor Guard air filter, that company originally made those units to be used as by pass oil filters, that housed a TP roll similar to the Frantz filters. If you ever need a new filter in a pinch, I believe they still accept TP rolls, unless they have changed the measurements internally.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: