View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
LOL, that is the reservoir, back then it was all they needed with drum brakes and single reservoir.

If I was doing it I'd raise the chassis up fairly level let the wheels hang down and see if you can get it gravity bled. To get it started open all 4 bleeders, and just bump the pedal at the very top of the travel until you get fluid dripping from the bleeders. I'd let them drip for a few minutes shut them off and see if you have a firm pedal. If you feel it's not bled do one wheel at a time and see if you get any bubbles out. Usually the air is out of the system by just letting them drip for say 2-3 minutes the first time.

You'll probably have people coming along telling you have to pump them up and hold them with 2 people, or use a pressure bleeder, etc. etc. but I twisted wrenches for over 45 years and have never used a pressure bleeder yet. Usually I was alone so the pumping the brakes up and opening the bleeders with 2 people wasn't going to happen. Gravity is a constant and physics never changes so it's been working for me for this long, I'm probably not going to change my process at this point.

That's the way I'd do it, because it's familiar to me, and works excellently. No other equipment needed, other than a bleeder wrench, and a bottle of brake fluid. Oh yeah, a little bit of patience.
Do this ^^

If you have a vacuum bleeder, go to the right rear bleeder and just bump the button on your vac bleeder 5 or 6 times for a few seconds to start the process a little faster. Keep an eye on the tiny reservoir and don't let it run dry. Gravity bleeding is still my preferred method.