View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old flat rate mechanic, and also I've owned my own garage business twice during the last 5 decades. .8 HR. to replace the tie rod, and set toe in to factory spec. .3 HR. to replace tie rod without setting the toe in.

List price is all I've ever charged a customer repair for parts. If they supply their own parts then I add the markup to the bill, I also will charge them double labor if the part they bring me is wrong, or defective.

No warranty on labor if the customers part fails, and it needs to be replaced, 2 operations will be charged if their part fails, and I replace it a second time.

To warranty parts, and labor, I must supply the parts. I really hate messing with customers bargain basement crappy parts, plus I lose the markup, effectively cutting my paycheck. Every one of my customers would scream bloody murder if their boss cut their wages so he could save some money. In my eyes they're in effect asking me to take a pay cut to save them money. If you want to save money on the parts purchase, then you also need to do the labor, and save that expense too.

There's an old example that garage owners use when confronted by cusomers that want their parts installed by a professional. "Do you also buy your own steak at the grocery store, and take it to a restaurant, and have them cook it for you?"...........

That's how I ran my successful business for many years. I really didn't care if it offended anyone, it was my garage, and my rules, I had more work than I could keep up with.

You might want to get a second opinion if you can't see any play in the tie rod end. Either it was bad last time you had it inspected, and they missed it, or the garage you're currently dealing with is not that reputable. $400 to do 1 tie rod end seems excessive to me..........

FWIW, I found this on the net typical charge for Envoy parts, and labor:

Quote:
Tie Rod End Replacement Service
How much does a Tie Rod End Replacement cost?
On average, the cost for a GMC Envoy XL Tie Rod End Replacement is $234 with $139 for parts and $95 for labor. Prices may vary depending on your location.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: