View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
After purchasing my latest 71 GTO this past summer, I was driving home to AZ from IL. About 11:00 am, cruising across I-40 and 75 miles short of Amarillo, the 90+ degree Texas sun finally did its work and the car started to vapor lock. Fortunately it limped the 1/4 mile to the first available exit, and I was able to get it parked under a shade tree behind the local quickie mart. One block away, there was a generic auto parts store.

After some quick troubleshooting, I found a bent (and nearly crimped shut) fuel line between the carb and fuel pump. So I walked to the store, sourced a 6 foot section of fuel hose, a Q-jet spacer gasket, a couple fittings, and a can of hand cleaner. Fortunately, the guy I bought the car from had given me a spare (big can) fuel pump which was in the trunk. After swapping pumps, installing the spacer gasket, and then routing the full 6 foot of fuel hose out and away from the engine heat back into the carb, she started and ran beautifully.

When finished, I ate lunch at the quickie mart, took a 2 hour nap in the driver's seat under that glorious shade tree, and hit the road again as the sun started sinking low in the west Texas sky. The next morning, I was home in Phoenix with no other issues.

Glorious!

The things memories are made of...
If you took I35 through Oklahoma City, westward, you drove by my town, El Reno. Next car you buy in Illinois, let me know!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...