View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10 years ago last September I drove the Canning Stock Route here in Australia. 900 sand hills, 1700 kilometres of constant low range 4WD in a 2002 Nissan Patrol. About as far from anywhere as you can possibly go. And every inch is SERIOUS ruts and corrugations along the track.
600 kilometres south from the nearest town we broke the chassis over the rear right wheel. Body of the vehicle moved and crushed and broke the brake lines to the rear axle. ABS just kept pumping the brake fluid out. So, no brakes rear or front.
Only possible repair was to cut the line forward of the axle and seal it somehow so we at least had front brakes. But there were EIGHT pipes under there. Brake lines, Fuel lines, Vacuum lines (for the diff lock). Impossible to trace which line to cut unless it was on a hoist.
We had a Satellite phone so I phoned the Nissan Dealer where the car was bought and serviced and asked him which pipe I had to cut? You can imagine his reply when I told him I wanted to cut a brake pipe....... Told him to look at a map and look for a town called Halls Creek. Then visualise we are 600 kilometres south of that stuck in the desert.
In the end he was helpful. We cut and sealed the correct pipe, bled the front brakes, disconnected the ABS pump and drove the car out of the desert and another 4000 kilometres home on just the front brakes.