View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spot I mentioned earlier & 428ho4spd put pics up, is the same.

One thing about stamped rearend ID codes, quite a few times I've ran across a housing in a car that a previous owner thought it was cool to haphazardly stamp his own ID code on an axle tube after having another ratio gear set installed. With cheap commonly avail stamps with the incorrect font, & often stamped in the wrong spot, I used to shake my head. It happens, as do gear ratios get swapped without the owner "playing with stamps". As a result, I always pull the rear cover & check the gear set for ratio & condition.

Another, amusing deal w rears in the boneyards... years ago, harvesting 8.5 posi units in the cheap yards, several times I came across what had once been someone's pride & joy street machine, usually a terd mid 70's Camaro or Malibu, & it's rear gear had been changed to lower gearset. I crawl undrneath, pull the rear cover & caps, & voila... instead of a correct thickness cast steel spacer between the left carrier bearing race & the housing, & a GM service spacer & one or two thin GM shims on the passenger side, I'm treated to two thick stacks of thin aftermarket shims on each side. Once I pulled the axles, the preload on the carrier bearings was so loose, the posi w mounted ring gear would fall right out. Had to love it, as the pile of aftermarket shims would eventually come in handy.