View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Good luck with your build. I did the same thing with my 67 GTO vert, even to the dollars that I spent. All that was posted here about 5-7 yrs ago. I don't know if that thread is still available or not but there was a lot of good help and advice posted in it. Your car is in much better shape than what I started with. It took me several years to do mine but I never gave up, thanks to all the support from the fine folks here. I will be following your thread. Good luck.
Thanks! I'll need all the words of encouragement I can get. This is a project which has been years in the making, and I'm doing it not just for me, but also for my family who also have a bond with the GTO. Lots of sentimental value. I'm hoping to finish the restoration in under three years if I can. I'm 37 years old now, and the plan is to have it done by the time I turn 40.

Your post history should be retained, so I'll take a peek at it to get a sense of what you went through. I'm sure lots of it will apply to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
Good Luck on this project! We have something in common, my first car was also a 66 GTO, bought used just out of high school in 1968. What we do not have in common is a place to work on them like that shop, damn I'm jealous about that.

Mike Pearson
Thanks, Mike! Yes, having work space is nice, and a luxury that I'm not accustomed to. Until this past December, I've always had to work on my cars in front of my house on the street. No garage, no driveway. That might seem somewhat reasonable for the average driver who only does oil changes every 5k miles, but with a track car that needs more frequent maintenance, it was far from ideal. And since I live in Seattle, that also meant planning projects around the weather, etc. But despite having never had a driveway or workspace until recently, I always did my own work rather than paying someone else. I'm now paying a pretty penny to store and work on my cars at the club, but I've found it to be worth every penny.

Also, I can't imagine what it would have been like to buy a 2 year old '66 GTO just out of high school. You must have been over the moon at the time.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 02-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.