View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I'll try to cover your questions in a single response...I let the Kryon dry for several days but that's just because I know that it tends to be slow curing. Not sure if it would make any difference to the Spaz Stix. Also, any gloss black that you like will probably work ok. I just like the Krylon. It's durable, very shiny and like I said, I really like the fan spray nozzle. Testor's would probably be fine.
I do not recommend using clear over the Spaz Stix. In my experience, it makes it look a little less shiny and more like silver paint.

The Fine Line tape I used is a 3m product that I've had for years. I got it from a body supply shop. It comes on a single roll that has been cut at the factory to several different widths from probably one half inch down to a sixteenth of so.
Another option is to just spray your panel with the chrome and use a small brush to paint black around the instruments afterwards. You really just don't want the chrome peeking through the little gap between the veneer and the bezel.
I did not strip anything from the original except the glue. I cleaned it with a degreaser/wax remover, like anything I paint, because I don't want fisheyes staring at me. After allowing the black to dry, I degreased again before the chrome spray.

As for durability, the Alsa Corp stuff I sprayed on my first panel is still holding up quite well without a clear coat and this Spaz Stix seems to be pretty much the same stuff I think it's been at least a couple of years..probably three.
I will say though that I haven't cleaned it with Windex or anything. It may hold up fine to that, I just haven't done it. You (or I) might test it on an inconspicous spot or a test panel.
A soft microfibre cloth seems to work fine so far and let's face it, you're not going to get a ton of dirt and grime on your dash most likely.
As far as touch, it seems pretty good to me but time will tell.

Charles and Shiny, thanks...Jack, I hope it helps someone that's interested in trying it.

Bottom line, it's not a direct replacement for a true chrome plating job but I like the look and I love the price.