Thread: New Found Power
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Found Power

So this month makes it 2 years of ownership of the 70 GTO. After that amount of time, you feel like you should pretty much know you car inside and out. Well thanks to hurricane Irma, I think I got sold a tank of regular gas as premium (no big surprise) as I hammered the car, I got some detonation, ping, knock, whatever you know it as. I didn't at first think of the gas but I also know I hadn't heard the car detonate since I've owned her so now its time to check timing on the car. (something I should have done right after I took delivery) So of course a timing light is something few people outside of our circles owns, but those in our circle can and will loan them out. I was the loaner of a timing light and the loanee moved before I could get it back so now I was the loanee and today I put the gun to the car and was surprised to learn the car was running just under 14+ degrees of initial timing.....wow! No wonder! So now its back down to 4+ degrees and man talk about a boost in off the line torque! Of course the idle took a nose dive and after about a half a dozen adjustments I can really get a nice rumpety cam sound I knew this car should have had all along. Still drives smooth, stills idles with a nice side to side motion of the chassis at a stop light and a lot more push back in the seat on the butt dyno. I went ahead and tightened down on the screechy alternator belt while I was under the hood losing 1 pound a minute of sweat in this blistering Florida and engine heat. It might not be a bad idea to check the little things here and there, you might be surprised of what you will find.