Thread: A '73 Sd in '73
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post
Norwood, it could be a conversion kit. Here are some additional details on this shaker:

A. The solenoid bracket has a GI stamped in it on an angle. My 72 has the same in the same angled position. There's a picture of the GI and the spot welds for the crossmember.

B. One side of the crossmember has a metal tab bent out possibly for alignment against the metal ring. This also is the same as the '72. The second picture is through a mirror so you can see the underside of the crossmember with the tab and spot welds.

C. The 2 plastic tabs for the door pin has circular plastic mold depressions, again just like the '72.

Finally, the sealer around the door and spot welds attaching the crossmember are exactly like the '72, so if it was a conversion, the person doing it did an awesome job replicating the factory look.

It would be interesting to know if the kit had these subtle details sorted out?

Sorry for veering of the topic of this thread!
I checked a couple of additional details:

D. The bolts used to hold the solenoid bracket are the same as the '72, an M with a I in the middle of the M.

E. I also compared the gauge of the metal on the door, and both are 0.0465 ~ 0.0485in.

If anyone has one of the conversion kits Norwood is talking about, or even a picture of the kit from a supplier manual it would be great to compare these details to the kit.