View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I got a data logger(RPM out of OK) to get some info on the Camaro/IA project. I am using a DUI HEI on the motor. Run one on the 78 for years. HEI tach terminal has worked every aftermarket tach I've used. Worked on the 5 channel Innovate wide band recorder I used. That one did need a variable resistor to have it's rpm equal actual rpm.

This logger the guy felt an HEI would not work on but he said not many folks trying one. Initially tried and Autometer 9116 tach filter -no signal at all. Dropped it off and used straight tach signal. It goes from actual rpm to almost double real rpm. So all over the place. Not sure unless sampling rate is the issue why this unit has problems with the interference. Tach feed for the Autometer tach is working fine..

Options I see 1)trying Autometer tach adapter 9117(his suggestion) but it wires on coil + supply side
2)HEI remote coil setup
3)crank trigger.

Crank trigger wheel is 3/8" thick so would space out water pump and then alternator to match up, so some fabricating. I have a ATI balancer(3 bolt Chevy pattern) and I think they make crank trigger outer rings or new balancers.

Any thoughts out there?
Randy at RPM is pretty sharp. If he thinks the Autometer 9117 tach adapter might work, I'd try that first.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”