View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know if these were ever reproduced and maybe sold through PY without the circular "MADE IN CANADA" stamping?

I believe that the current repops are a creation of 'The Parts Place' - at least they were the first retailers I seemed to recall seeing as carrying them.

I am asking this because I recently bought one from a FB group;
I bought it with the understanding that it was an original part;
Although it looks nice enough, it lacks the stamp, and has other tiny details that differ from my repaired original.

I didn't think anything about it when I saw it was painted bright blue, I just figured the paint was remnant from the decades bygone;
But after soaking and stripping it, I see no stamp, and it seems to be unplated steel.
The kicker is that the guy who sold me it said he used to work for PY - which got me to thinking that this is probably an older repop.
I can't be mad considering the shipped to me cost, but would have preferred to know that it's not an original part.
I was going to strip it, and confirm it as an original before doing the courtesy of sending a couple more bucks to cover the difference between quoted shipping, and what the guy's wife paid when she shipped it... now I'm on the fence.

I guess I'll be looking up the 'zinc plating fun' thread to make "lemonade" out of this deal

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)