Thread: Where to begin?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
the intake should be easy as they are very common from any 77-79ish pontiac v8, if you wants #'s correct it needs to be from a 78... looks like the member above has one for you though.

the carb might be a little harder to find #'s correct 78 W72 but cores are out there usually for $100-200 & you can rebuild them with a good kit from cliff. no need to pay outrageous prices though as any 76-79 pontiac v8 carb will work when rebuilt & calibrated right which cliff can help you with once you know a little more about the cam & engine specs.

the air cleaner base will be a little harder to find & they are usually quite expensive, W72 or the earlier style 76 400/455 bases sell for $400+, but you can use a standard L78 400 base too that will be a little cheaper around $250.

but if youre ok using holly stuff it doesnt sound like you care too much about #'s matching parts so should be easier to get any factory Q-jet & a base model air cleaner of this era to fit & work right.

The engine is completely un known. It appears the car was being prepped to drag race. The stock manifold, carb and aircleaner are gone and a rpm performer, edelbrock carb and electronic fuel pump were installed and never finished getting put together. I have a hunch there is a new cam and there is a hurst vmatic version 2 partially installed. This all looks to have been done 15 years ago.

My plan is to do a compressing test. Inspect the cam and lifters. Assembly lube it and re assemble with stock intake and carb and go through cam break in procedures. Depending on what’s in there I may just use it in less he put in a sir lopesalot cam to go with the rpm intake. In that case I would look for a mild street upgrade from stock.

It does have the 6x4 heads that look stock on oe numbers matching block. It isa x7 stamped block and the stock trans appears to be in place. This is an October 77 car so I’m of the belief it has the factory shift kit.

I will also be going back to the stock shifter and console. 😀