View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1972 Trans Am formula radiator were they 3 core or 4 core?

So recently I have acquired a couple 72 radiators. the first was an Automatic car with 400 and A/C. Now this would have mandated HD cooling to the best of my knowledge. The car was a VEEEERY low mileage nothing special car (read not a Formula or Trans Am) and had less then 25k miles, so no reason to doubt the radiator which is a 72 dated Harrison with AE tank (dated Nov, 71) correct Harrison top and bottom rails and correct unmarked driverside tank (would have been IA in earlier cars) is not the original radiator. Example 2. I recently purchased a radiator on Craigslist. it was advertised as an HD cooling radiator for 70-81 firebird. I contacted the seller to ask if it was 3 core or 4 core as the pics were not so good. He assured me, that it was infact an HD cooling radiator as he personally made extra certain that option was on the car when he ordered it in 1972! ( he was a bit agitated when I asked this, so I am guessing I wasn't the first to ask). Imagine my surprise when I showed up to find yet ANOTHER 3 core radiator. this particular case it was a 4 speed version with the tank being CV with the date of L of 71. It also had the unstamped 3 core end tank (IA on 70 and 71) as well as the original top and bottom rails and even had the correct AC radiator cap still on it. Both radiators even still had the ribbed overflow hose!!!!! This got me thinking and wondering, so I did some searching on PY and came across a few mentions that stated 72 DID NOT use or install 4 core radiators for some reason. This seems VERY counterintuitive to me so my question is can anyone confirm or deny this? are there any low mile survivor cars with the original radiators still in them? These would be my preferred method of dispelling or confirming the myth, as we all know the books have been wrong before. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for the help