View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only reason I said the picture was of the core before it was installed, was because the picture WAS of the core before it was installed. The guy (Joe) who bought my old 70 trans am (with a heavy duty cooling system) is doing a high end restoration, so he sent the radiator to a local (old school) radiator shop to be recored. They told him that they could recore it, but the replacement core comes with the top and bottom rails installed, and the rails were slightly different in appearance. No one will ever see them once installed, but Joe wanted it done 100% correct, so the radiator shop removed the original rails from the old core and shipped them to Keystone Heatex in Roseville MI. Keystone then built a new (four) core using the original rails and shipped it back to Joe. I snapped the picture of the new four core before Joe took it to the radiator shop to have the original CV and IF tanks installed.

The passenger side tank on a three core radiator is 3 inches wide, while the driver side tank is only 2.5 inches wide, (see photo's 1 and 2).

However, on a four core radiator (FP code in 1970 and 1971), both tanks are 3 inches wide. Photo 3 below is of a driver side tank on a car equipped with a heavy duty cooling system, which is a four core radiator.

I do not know about 1972 or later radiators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
@ eagles - when you say the second picture was the core before it was installed, are you suggesting that it originally was a four core(?) or just showing that a four core can be installed on the original tanks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6466.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	515508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6468.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	515509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6469.JPG
Views:	149