View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
CONGRATS that's the 2nd red with beige cloth SD to surface in the last month. tell us all the details
The quest for this car began about 15 years ago, It all started with a classified ad for some Chevrolet parts in The Atlanta Advertiser. The Atlanta Advertiser came out every 2 weeks I believe. It went into extinction a number of years ago. However it used to be one of the "go to" publications for everything from construction supplies to car parts.

I had a co-worker, John, that was a Chevrolet guy. However he always told me he wanted a early 2nd generation firebird. He had placed an ad in The Atlanta Advertiser for some Chevrolet parts he was selling. A guy named Scott happened to call about some of these parts and during their conversation John asked Scott if he knew of any Firebird's for sale. Scott happened to mention a red TA that had SD455 on the hood scoop. Apparently it was known to a few people at the time but no one had been able to purchase it. Scott did not know if it was a real SD455 car or not. Scott lived in the Athens, GA area. John's brother, Edward, also lived in the same area. Shortly after this conversation John and Edward were able to locate the car and also made contact with the owner. John pursued the car for some time but eventually lost interest. Finally I was on the hunt.

Mike was the owner of the car. However the car sat on his friends, Larry, property. I could never get Mike on the phone. Larry was also very difficult to reach by phone and to be honest I was probably a nuisance to him. Over the years I made dozens of trips out there. Keep in mind it was usually a 4 hour round trip from where I live. Eventually I was able to make contact with Larry's son, James. James became an ally in my quest for this car. I almost gave up on this car a couple of times over the years. Seems there were too many obstacles in the way. However I got back on track after missing out on another car I had always wanted. Earlier this year James happened to reach out to me. His father Larry had recently passed away. He had been in touch with Mike and thought he was ready to part with the car. Within a few days the deal was made. Sometimes persistence pays off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 74SDformula For This Useful Post: