View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, I just started on my 68 rear bottom seat ... just burlap, then some kind of weird burlap bonded to cotton (and thin plastic sheet?), then cotton batting from the factory.

I should have done the bottom first, it looks easier than the top.

Was the factoring using foam on the rear bottom by 70? I see a lot of videos showing 1970 models that have foam on the bottom from the factory. Maybe they were convertibles?

BTW ... rambow, I noticed on the bottom seat in back, under the springs, what looks like a layer of jute. What was that for? Insulation, sound damping? Appeared that it may have been glued to the bottom of the springs? The mice had done away with most of it, but appears it covered the whole bottom. Not talking about the small piece of foam that is on the center forward section.

Did AC cars get any extra "insulation" under the seats?
starting around 1969 the factory started putting an extra peice of sheet foam ontop of the cotton, directly under the cover- but to my knowledge other than convertibles, a-bodies did not get molded foam in the rear seat.

To be honest I don't know the purpose of the extra piece of jute under the rear seat. I know that its there on all back seats, not just ac cars... its also there on front bench seats... its NOT there on bucket seats.

It doesn't wrap around / inbetween any springs so its not a spring insulator.. So

Like i said they did it on all the back seats and bench seats so i'm sure it was for a reason.

hope that helps!
Ben