Thread: Exhaust size
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I'm going to hang with Lee on this one. My 78 TA running NMCA we could run 3" head pipes, mufflers and had to run 2.5" tailpipes for class. O had 3" head pipes, H pipe 3" 2 chamber resonating SOB Flowmasters and mandrel 2.5 tailpipes. Kept it on the car initially when I put the 455 roller motor in the car. When I swapped to a 3", 3" X 3" Ultralflows and 3" mandrel Torque Tech tailpipes it was quieter and ran as fast as the car did open headers even with the extra weight.

Mike Cooke a Texas racer had his 73 Firebird in the old HPP magazine and said 3" exhaust made a world of difference in his car's performance and Mike could squeeze performance out of anything! This was a high 10 street car. He and I ran fender to fender at PSN with him one time trials.
How will this affect my low end torque/driveability? I have Dougs headers with 3.5 inch collectors Edelbrock round port heads ported to 315 CFM. Holley Sniper fuel injection with timing control. Cant remember my cam specs right now but Paul Carter specd it. 1.7 BBC roller rockers. Torker II intake with one inch spacer.