View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i mentioned that, (specifically for you since you have brung up the cold pour thing before, lol) & i agree that needs to be considered.

""i should state that some synthetics do cold pour as good as some thinner conventional oils, but when comparing apples to apples of the same type of oil, a 20/50 conventional to a 10/30 conv, there is a big difference. & when warmed up you simply dont need a 50 weight oil on a cruise to a car show or even some occasional runs down the track.""

the majority of conventional 20/50's cold pour very close to each other, its only when you look at synthetic 20/50's that there is an obvious improvement in cold pour. in this case, being vr1 is conventional & comparing to other conventional 20/50's in general, for an engine built to common "street" specs, 20/50 doesnt have any real advantage over a thinner weight conventional.

especially in colder parts of the country than vegas or arizona where some of you guys are lucky enough to live. i drive my cars almost until it snows or in the spring start them in the 40's & i use conventional 10/30 or 10/40 oil, ain't no way im using 20/50 in my pump gas street engines. i do use synthetic in the 72 with a roller cam but still stick with 10/30 based on what my builder suggested as well as comp & dave at SD for the lifters... still has almost 90psi on cold start in summer.
Yeah I saw that after I posted. You're one of the few that understand the importance of following the cold pour ratings.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: