View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 79 with the light blue hobnail/lombardy cloth seats. The 79-80 had hobnail/lombardy, the hobnail being the seating inserts of course, and the Lombardy cloth being the surrounds.

As you know, the 78 seats were all Lombardy.

I don't think either of the 2 cloth samples you were given are "right". The Lombardy had a crushed velour look to it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a correct reproduction Lombardy cloth available.

You could look for some New Old Stock(NOS), original material. There's a place named SMS auto fabrics that sells NOS original material. I haven't bought from them, so can't say how good they are. There seems to be mixed reviews. There may be other places that sells old un-used original material too.

But comparing your 2 samples to my seat material, shown below, the PUI looks closest. The second picture shows material that is underneath the upper seat back plastic panel, so it's in the best condition having been shielded from wear and sunlight. As you can see it has a little fluffiness and texture. The tan seat picture shows what I mean by the crushed velour look of the Lombardy cloth. Unfortunately neither of your 2 samples will give that look. The PUI has a texture, but it's a uniform texture. Looks like the Legendary sample has too fine a texture.

030 by grand73am, on Flickr
009 by grand73am, on Flickr
006 by grand73am, on Flickr
AA79GFDC010611G by grand73am, on Flickr