Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Still working on my Olds 403 to Olds 455 swap in my 1979 Trans Am.I just got the motor back and will be placing it in the car to check it's fit. Is anyone else currently doing this swap? It would be great to be able to share shaker/accessories/A/C/ exhaust manifold fittment stories.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Still working on my Olds 403 to Olds 455 swap in my 1979 Trans Am.I just got the motor back and will be placing it in the car to check it's fit. Is anyone else currently doing this swap? It would be great to be able to share shaker/accessories/A/C/ exhaust manifold fittment stories.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Suspended

should be no different than the 403.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Chief

You will find some significant differences in the way the two engines fit in the engine compartment.

Although the crank centerline of the 455 will be the same as the 403, the 455 is about an inch taller than the 403 due to the greater deck height. Hood interferences are likely.

Secondly, the 455 (big block) is 14 inches wide between the heads, while the 403 (small block) is 12 inches wide. Lateral clearances are going to be tighter.

Getting this measurement is the quickest way to differentiate between BB and SB Olds.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

Scroll down several topics from yours and read this one originated by 81bird455. It will give you plenty of information about potential conflicts faced with this swap.

OLDS 455 motor mounts HELP

Old 09-25-2004, 06:39 AM

I've had custom engine mounts made that should lower the motor .5-1".I'm also using an Edelbrock Performer(Not the RPM) intake manifold which should buy me a little clearance as compared to the stock cast iron intake.I've taken some preliminary measurements and it will be tight, but it should fit. I'm using Olds WZ exhaust manifolds to cut down on any extra space that headers may impose on.I saw a 79 TA on EBAY with the Olds 455.It was an A/C car and I was able to supersize a couple of his engine pictures.Again, it fit but looked tight(might need a special tool to change the last 2 spark plugs on the passenger side???).I'll keep you guys posted and please do the same if you hear of another crazy person doing the same swap.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Default more questions from new guy

Hi all, I see this thread is old, but I hope you're all still around. Anyways, I have a 69 toro 455 to go in my 81 TA. Height issues, I am not to worried about. It is a AC car, Am I gonna have to beat it back? I have the 403 mounts, but, It will bolt in different spots (fwd,bck) where do I want it? (on the block) Also I have the brackets for the PS from the Toro, and I also have newer aluminum stuff off a 307 or something. Somewhere I seen something about clearance issues, which should I go with? Are the headers I have not gonna go? (I don't know what kind they are, they just bolt on!) I also have a TH400 to put behind it, can I modify the crossmember, or do I need an entirely different one? Oh, and how close is the distributer to the firewall, because of my intake, If I want any timing room, I have to point the Vacuum advance out the back... I am going to be starting the engine (out of the car ) shortly, and if all runs well the car is getting its 305 yanked asap... One last one... What gear ratio would be good with the 455 (425ish HP) I have about 6 other TA's with different rear ends, Oh, this is to be a street car, I want to be able to cruise at 70 without screaming..... Thanks for any and all replies...

Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Just wanted to throw it out there that I have a running 403 in a '79 T/A and a complete 455 Olds with trans if anyone can use them...

Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Default more fun in olds land

Well, I pulled the motor off the stand and have it in a "test stand". I am gonna start it today. but as an update to my questions.. As I bolted the mounts on my engine to mount it to my test stand I noticed the inner plates ( the flat bar that bolts to the engine ) They are home made!!! You gotta love buying crap off Ebay! The damn holes didn't even line up! My plan was to have it all in the right spot (like the 403) and bolt it in. Oh well, It looks like I'll be lifting it in and out a few times. If I order rad hoses for a 403 TA, will they fit ok? And lastly for the day... Anybody have the oil filter setup off a 350 olds diesel? My oil filter is about 3/4 away from the header. I will really, truly appreciate any and all help I can get.... Thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

WD113

I have an Olds as well as my 65 LeMans/GTO clone. You may want to try searching realoldspower.com, as there are a bunch of posts regarding this type of swap...after all both are Oldsmobile engines. It has been done and they will know the correct motor mounts to use, the W/Z should be fine, and what intake to use to maintain clearances

John

Old 01-27-2006, 12:34 AM

Default it runs!!

thanks for the link, I've found a few threads... Well I started the 455 and let it run for a good hour or so, so far so good.