Old 01-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, that is a great website with tons of good info. I've bookmarked it for use now and down the road. Many thanks!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Pecosbill and GeeTeeOhguy
I appreciate the nice feedback. It's a bit expensive to pay the hosting bill, but hearing from folks that they like the 'site makes it worth it.
PecosBill Good luck on your new conv top whichever one you choose!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Bill, I found a link but this is of a parts top frame I took apart. I still have the material here in a 64 parts tub . There was a layer of insulation between the two pieces of material much like you would find under the package tray in the back window .when we made the new one I used an inch thick fiber matt it was about 12 inches wide and went from seam to seam on the boot well so it lays on top of the inner wheel well.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=381840

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 01-17-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtone View Post
Thanks Pecosbill and GeeTeeOhguy
I appreciate the nice feedback. It's a bit expensive to pay the hosting bill, but hearing from folks that they like the 'site makes it worth it.
PecosBill Good luck on your new conv top whichever one you choose!
Good stuff there Squid!

Thanks,

Charles

Old 01-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Don. The lady at Kee said they have the original GM material for the well liner. I'll use your pics for comparison.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Boost Engineer

I had an Imperial Crown "oversized" Top installed on my 64 by a shop in GP Michigan 20 + years ago. They recommended a larger size as they knew the top would shrink slightly over the years. Today the top looks like a perfect fit deal from the factory.

No bowing at the window line and no stress at the rear hoop area.

Tom Vaught

Looked for "Imperial Crown" tops a few years ago and found nothing on the web.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I received some samples from Kee today. One is labeled "original GM white" and the other is "GM Britewhite." Given that I'm trying as best I can to keep this car all 1964 original, the "original" name struck a chord with me. But I was surprised at the difference between the two. The original sample looks somewhat ivory while the other is, well, bright white. I guess they look different when they're actually on the car, so even though the Britewhite sample looks really nice, I think I'm just going to take a deep breath and order the "original GM white" top. GeeTohGuy likes the ivory look, so that is reassuring. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

Last edited by Pecosbill; 01-22-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My car is Cameo Ivory (which is really white) and came from the factory with a a black interior and a "white" top (which is Ivory). When I bought it - it looked like this:

Like you, I tried to keep it as original as possible and put the "correct" white top back on:

I've never liked the Ivory top. I know that in the photo above it looks like it matches - but up close it really doesn't look right.

Here's a closeup that kind of shows the difference:

It will be replaced soon - and I had been thinking about putting a black top on - but will consider the "Brightwhite" option.

What color is your interior? If it's blue or black - I personally would consider the "Brightwhite". If it's a white interior - then I'd compare the samples to the actual interior color and go with whatever looked best.

But it's your car, your decision.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ, the car is Skyline Blue with dark blue interior. I've still got my old top over at the shop, so I may drag it out and clean off a section of it and compare colors to the samples. I seem to remember the top looking whiter than the samples they sent.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill

I knew your car was Skyline Blue. I remember you posting a photo awhile back and making the mistake thinking it was Cameo Ivory.

I wasn't sure of your interior color. If it had been white - the "correct" top might have looked better with the interior.

Knowing that it has the dark blue interior - I think the "whiter" white would look better.

But once again, that's my opinion. And my opinion doesn't count for much on your car.