Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 12-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to Remove Stuck Ball in Center Carb Accelerator Pump Well

I've mentioned this before, but now that we have a Tripower forum, I thought a few pictures and some explanation may help some of you facing this stuck ball dilemma.

As you can see, I used a 1/8" NPT pipe nipple about 5" long. This size will thread itself tightly into the casting around the area where the screen sets. Tighten the nipple until you can no longer blow air through it.

Now, fill the nipple to the top with heavy oil (I use 80W90). Then, take a piece of round rod 1/4" diameter about 8" long, insert it into the top of the nipple. Hold it so about 1" of the rod is inside the nipple. Hold it there and hit the rod with a SHARP TAP with a small hammer. The ball WILL pop out of the accelerator pump well. In the last of the three pictures, you can see the ball in the bottom of the float bowl.

I always put a shop rag over the float bowl to reduce the mess from the oil and keep me from getting hit by the ball as it pops out.

There have been some stuck balls that required several attempts to free the ball, but of the many I've done, this is usually not necessary. Part of the problem is my fear of hitting my hand holding the rod that interferes with the force of the "sharp tap!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	442047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	442049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	442050  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Dick!
This is a really good tip, i have performed it a few times after you wrote about it, works every time.
And, it IS a good idea to put a shop rag over the float bowl, donīt ask......

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot to mention--the larger of the two check balls goes under the venturi cluster. The small ball goes in the accelerator pump well.

The hole in the accelerator pump well is just the right size to allow the large ball to drop partway in and stick. Sometimes, holding the fuel bowl upside down and banging it on a flat surface will dislodge the ball, but not often.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Boost Engineer

I have used a welding glove (happened to have one at the time) and a 2x10 piece of wood. Grab the casting with the glove and sharply make contact with the wood evenly around the lip of the fuel bowl casting. Sometimes it takes a few whacks to get the ball out. I like Dick's deal too. Wear a face mask or goggles on that deal. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.