Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Default 65 AMD Front Bumpers ETA?

Anyone know info or an ETA for the repro AMD front bumber? I have heard their rear repro bumper is the best on the market. I need both so I am waiting to make one order and save shipping etc.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM

AMD website shows them as "In Stock". I have requested more information along with a shipping and handling estimate. If anyone has information on their development, please feel free to share.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Reproductions will never be as nice as a redone original.

Do you have an LKQ/Keystone outlet in your area? Many of the larger ones will let you drop off your bumper, they then ship it off to their Minnesota headquarters where they hand them off to North Star Plating to be redone. Typically takes about 3-4 months. Then you pick it up when it returns. They do awesome work. I just had one done for my wagon, $417 and no shipping cost. That's not a lot more than a possibly sketchy reproduction once you factor in shipping and you know it will fit properly.

OR just ship an OEM bumper to either TriCity Plating, https://www.tricityplating.com/, or North Star Plating, https://www.northstarplating.com/, directly. They both do excellent work. All the bumpers on my old cars have been redone by one or the other, never a disappointment.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks for suggestion. I used Keystone for my 72 Cutlass Supreme. They did an excellent job on the front but wouldn't redo my rear bumper. My GTO bumpers are even worse so it's not an option. As with all repro stuff, it becomes a question of cost, quality expectations and if you have any other options. My car is a driver, so I am leaning toward the repros. We have Librandi about an hour away. Excellent work but 3-4 times the cost if you have workable cores.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Daubert10, what happened with Keystone?? They give the orig. owner a lifetime guarantee, I thought? You and them have different opinions?? Just trying to learn??

"Bill"!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 PM

No problems with Keystone. They did a great job replating my front Cutlass bumper. They would not replate my rear Cutlass bumper because it was a little too rusty. I ended up buying a repro rear from them and although the lines were not quite as crisp, the chrome has held up really well going on 12years now.

From my experience with the Cutlass, and the fact that both GTO bumpers are worse than that rear Cutlass bumper they would not replate, I am not considering the Keystone option.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK Thanks for the explanation!!!! "Bill"!

Old 08-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Reproductions will never be as nice as a redone original.

Do you have an LKQ/Keystone outlet in your area? Many of the larger ones will let you drop off your bumper, they then ship it off to their Minnesota headquarters where they hand them off to North Star Plating to be redone. Typically takes about 3-4 months. Then you pick it up when it returns. They do awesome work. I just had one done for my wagon, $417 and no shipping cost. That's not a lot more than a possibly sketchy reproduction once you factor in shipping and you know it will fit properly.

OR just ship an OEM bumper to either TriCity Plating, https://www.tricityplating.com/, or North Star Plating, https://www.northstarplating.com/, directly. They both do excellent work. All the bumpers on my old cars have been redone by one or the other, never a disappointment.
X2 on North Star. Amazing work. Over-restored, yes. Pricey, yes. Worth it, yes.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 PM

My front and rear amd 65 bumpers arrived yesterday. $690 all in to my door in Pennsylvania. They look really nice. Fitwise, I will know better after I put them on the car this winter. The front license plate area is drilled just like the originals so it looks like I will be able to use my license plate bracket.

I have not seen other repro brands for these particular bumpers but I am surprised how nice the inside edges are and how nice all of the holes are punched/cut. My only other experience with a repro bumper (72 Cutlass rear) was quite a bit different in those areas. My Cutlass repro bumper looks good on the car but is pretty ugly behind the scenes and not nearly as nice as these from amd.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like some promising good news.
Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubert20 View Post
No problems with Keystone. They did a great job replating my front Cutlass bumper. They would not replate my rear Cutlass bumper because it was a little too rusty. I ended up buying a repro rear from them and although the lines were not quite as crisp, the chrome has held up really well going on 12years now.

From my experience with the Cutlass, and the fact that both GTO bumpers are worse than that rear Cutlass bumper they would not replate, I am not considering the Keystone option.
Was this rust on the front of the bumper or the rear of the bumper? I am gonna send my bumpers to keystone and the fronts of the bumpers don’t look to bad but the backs are scaly rust. I guess I could always wire wheel them before I send them.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM

I had rust on the back of the Cutlass bumper. It was deeper than surface but not scaly and our local Keystone in Bethlehem, PA said no dice. If it needs to be patched or have a piece welded in you may need to go with another option. Take it there and see what they say.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Our GTO front bumper had awful deep pitting on the backside and they replated it and it turned out great. That was Tri-City, you might want to try them instead next time.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They don’t need any patching they just have scaly rust

Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Some pics of the AMD bumpers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105433.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	492599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105451.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	492600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105500.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	492601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105534.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	492602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105546.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	492603  

Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 AM

A few more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180908_105631.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	492604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105644.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	492605   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_105659.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	492606  

Old 05-12-2019, 05:31 PM

I mounted my front and rear AMD bumpers a few weeks ago and they lined up real nice. Both the front and rear match the contour of the body while also fitting nicely into the side pockets of the fenders and quarter panels. Side to side fit of the rear is very good with nary a difference in either side. The front ended up a bit to the driver side while matching the peak of the grille surround with peak of the bumper on my car. My front license plate bracket bolted right on. That’s a reported issue with other brands, they are reportedly not drilled correctly. Thankfully, AMD got that right. The rear license plate door bolted right up as well. Only one minor issue during assembly with a real tight fit of the back-up light housings. I already shared that feedback with AMD so hopefully they can address that in the future.

Overall a positive experience and a great value. I would not hesitate to recommend them to others with cars like my driver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	py_front_post.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	512110   Click image for larger version

Name:	PY_Rear bumper pic.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	512111  

Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubert20 View Post
I mounted my front and rear AMD bumpers a few weeks ago and they lined up real nice. Both the front and rear match the contour of the body while also fitting nicely into the side pockets of the fenders and quarter panels. Side to side fit of the rear is very good with nary a difference in either side. The front ended up a bit to the driver side while matching the peak of the grille surround with peak of the bumper on my car. My front license plate bracket bolted right on. That’s a reported issue with other brands, they are reportedly not drilled correctly. Thankfully, AMD got that right. The rear license plate door bolted right up as well. Only one minor issue during assembly with a real tight fit of the back-up light housings. I already shared that feedback with AMD so hopefully they can address that in the future.

Overall a positive experience and a great value. I would not hesitate to recommend them to others with cars like my driver.
I'm glad your satisfied with your AMD bumpers. AMD has access to their own chrome plating plant and are very picky with the items they plate. The rear bumper was made from a very, very nice original. The front bumper was made from another companies reproduction, but their plating. They test fit their products to original cars before they are finalized and released to the public.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT