Old 06-23-2024, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Hurst Dual Gate in '64 GP

I have an opportunity to buy a pretty nice, complete Hurst Dual Gate shifter set up for the '63-'64 Grand Prix automatics with the console. I think the Dual Gate is cool and have always wanted to own one for the '64 GP I'm restoring.

I have some questions I'm hoping the amazing members on this forum can help me with. Anyone own one of the B-body cars with a Dual Gate? Any negatives or reasons why maybe I wouldn't want to put one in my '64 GP? If someone with experience can provide the pros and cons, that will help me decide if what I'm considering is worth it.

Also I'm ditching my Slim Jim trans and will be installing a late 60's B-body TH400 in my GP. Do you know if the Hurst Dual Gate for the '63-'64 Grand Prix will work with a late model TH400 or only the original Slim Jim auto trans? If it doesn't work with the later TH400 trans, would a later Dual Gate set up from a late 60s GTO work with my factory GP console?

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-23-2024, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reverse is in a different place on a THM 400 than the Slim Jim, so the 64 Dual Gate will not work properly

Old 06-23-2024, 09:32 PM

Right : RHM has R at the bottom.

I also seriously toyed with putting one in my '64 GP, The '63-64 units were the coolest in design with the HURST nameplate & the shifter... but passed on the extravagence.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are correct that the early shifter will not fit the later trans. BUT. the later Dual Gate shifter will fit the 1963-4 console with only minor modifications and using the dual gate cable, cable bracket and shift arm will work on any of the later transmissions. I installed a 1967 shifter in my 1964 GP with T-350 using all the parts from a 1967 GTO including the neutral safety switch.

Old 06-24-2024, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the replies! That makes sense...I had forgotten that the Slim Jim had a different shift pattern than the later TH350 and 400 transmissions. Good to know that a later Dual Gate from a GTO will work! I'll have to keep that in mind and start looking for a later Dual Gate.