Old 05-14-2024, 01:07 PM

Default Charging circut

Car is 65 GTO. Noticed the other day that the battery light was on while engine was on. I also have under dash gauges that include a voltmeter. It was showing just over 11 volts. Removed alternator and had it tested. It tested bad. Replaced it with a rebuilt one. Checked battery voltage at battery with engine running. Tested 14.12 volts and battery light was off. Voltmeter also showed 14 volts. When I started the car the next time, I took it out, the voltmeter stayed at 12 volts for about 5-6 seconds and then slowly rose to a little over 14 volts. My question is: Is this normal or should the voltmeter go to 14 volts instantly after engine starts? Alternator is a 10DN type alternator with external voltage regulator. Regulator is a solid-state type and was new about a year ago. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NORMAL