Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

Default 66 Tempest to 67 GTO???

Recently I've been thinking about converting my 66 Tempest(its a post car) into a 67 GTO. I know its a bit odd or crazy, why not just buy a 67 right. I'm not looking to build a perfect clone just a car that for the most part looks like a 67 GTO.

What would it take to do it?

The obvious are the grills and header panel, tail panel and lights, rocker mouldings, bumpers and interior.

What else needs to be done?

Thanks for any help,
Kevin

Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

This might not be what you want to hear, but why don't you put up a post in the appropriate section asking if anyone wants to trade their 67 for your 66 in similar condition, as your reasoning just state the only reason you are doing it is because you prefer the look of the 67. It will save you a bunch of work in the long run and be period correct. Dash components, grab bar, interior pieces all would need to be changed amongst some other features.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin it's your car... do as you like. It'll be expensive depending on how far you go. Front and rear bumpers should be the same as a GTO. The 67s had the vinyl woodgrain on the dash and console. Plus the GTO emblems inside, and the obvious GTO emblems outside.

Back in 73 I did the same with a 66 326 Tempest. I put on a GTO hood, grills with the GTO emblem, and the GTO parking lights. Total cost except the hood was about $75.00. Got the hood in a swap. Added Chrome Reverse wheels and airshocks.... and that's all I did. And back in 73 that was a radical change. I didn't make out it was a real GTO at all. Just had to have the look of one. Have fun with yours and good luck.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input guys!

Yveyant, the reason I'm thinking of doing this isn't because I prefer the look. I have no intentions of trying to pass it off to someone as a real GTO or selling the car in the near future either. The car is most likely never going to be original again anyway.

Will all the 67 grille components and header panel bolt up to the 66 front fenders without modifying anything?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No Kevin, they are completely different from 66 to 67 and will not interchange. The only thing that's the same is the parking light lenses, gaskets, and chrome bezels. Even the bases are different. In the 66s the grill and pk base are moulded together. 67 pk light bases can be replaced.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Gary, I was wondering if the bolt holes were the same in the 66 & 67 fenders? I'd like to use the 66 fenders with the 67 grille componenets.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry Kevin but I forgot to add that fenders and header panels are different too.

The only way you can use do it is cut out the back of the 66 grills [all the black webbing the air passes thru] , and then add the wire mesh and parking light housings for the 67. Then you can use the pk light reflectors, lenses, and bezels for a 66 GTO. I have a set of 66 grills that was done that way and can post pictures for you tomorrow.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And don't forget the toughest part, the 1/4 panels that no one makes. And throw in a trunk lid and related rear trim, too.
If you MUST have a '67 GTO clone, start with a '67 Tempest or Lemans and be way ahead.

Nothing wrong with building up a Tempest or Lemans and leaving the name on it, either. They look nice, can go just as fast, and are something just a little different

Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, 400 is right. Use your 66 to make a 66 GTO look-a-like. Don't do it to 2 separate years. Too costly and too much work. And think of it this way too.... NO pollution crap on a 66. PCV valve only.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks 400 4spd! I wasn't even thinking about the 1/4 panel and trunk lid difference. I knew this seemed too easy. It looks like it will stay a 66. The 1/4's are too nice on this car to hack up. The only thing I'd be lacking to make it a 66 GTO would be the interior, tail panel and lights, and trim pieces. I already have a GTO hood and bucket seats so maybe I'll make it a GTO or maybe it will stay a Tempest. The reason I was thinking of making it a 67 was that I wanted to build it for my dad. His first new car was a 67 GTO and this is still the car he talks and dreams about having again. He only has so many years left to possibly enjoy a car like this and I doubt he'll ever get another on his own. I can't buy another car right now either so I was thinking of changing the one I had. Thanks for the help Gary and everyone even if it didn't work out.

Kevin

Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin, I'm sure your dad will understand it won't be a 67. Just do it. He'll still love it because you did it for him. He's a lucky man... and lucky to have a son like you. My stepkids wouldn't even think of doing that for their dad or me.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin, I agree with Gary's sentiments. I bet your Dad will enjoy it regardless of what it says on the quarter panels. Throw on the GTO hood and the buckets seats, stiffen the suspension up, and he will feel like he's back in the old Goat again whenever he gets behind the wheel and looks over that scoop.
If it's roadworthy and fun to drive, the other things won't matter.

That's a nice thing to do for your Dad. He is lucky.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Know of a local '66 GTO post car project that could be bought righteous. 389 3spd.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
And don't forget the toughest part, the 1/4 panels that no one makes. And throw in a trunk lid and related rear trim, too.
If you MUST have a '67 GTO clone, start with a '67 Tempest or Lemans and be way ahead.

Nothing wrong with building up a Tempest or Lemans and leaving the name on it, either. They look nice, can go just as fast, and are something just a little different
Well said.

My car will make the clone conversion (almost there) but will retain the LeMans emblems and tail lights.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

also, the 66 was the superior year for all gtos as far as looks goes so....there ya go leave it as a 66

sorry yveyant

Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
also, the 66 was the superior year for all gtos as far as looks goes so....there ya go leave it as a 66

sorry yveyant
I kinda have to agree.

Sorry Tony.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin, these the 66 grills I bought that were converted and have the 67 wire mesh in them. Save them to your computer and open them up with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to enlarge them. Then you'll see the details easier and clearer.

You might want to get another set of 66 grills. Repos or used depending how good yours are. Even 66 Lemans or Tempest grills will do. Just the black webbing of the 66 grill is removed. That way you'll still have a lip for the 7 screws needed to attach the wire mesh to eash side. Fit isn't perfect but you can adjust the mesh so it doesn't show the little gap around the grill shell. Paint the grill housings as you want.... black or argent silver. Done this way your dad will have the 67 grill looks on a 66. I plan on putting my converted grills in just to be different for a few shows. LOL Just waiting for some warmer weather so I can paint them Eastwood's Spray Gray like I did with my original 66 grills. Your GTO grill emblem will still work but you'll need to add washers on the back side to keep it in place. Or bigger pal nuts should work too. You'll see what I mean if you try this mod.

This is only an idea for you so you can get the look you want for your dad. Either way you go, I'm sure he'll like it. Just have fun with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grills 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	159836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grills 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	159837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grills 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	159838  

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Sorry for what?? It was his idea to turn a 66 into a 67 not mine. LOL Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like anything from the 65 to 67 personally. I am partial to the 67. The front on the 67 is nicer than the 66 in my opinion, whereas the 66 has the 67 beat for the rear taillights. I like the rocker trim much better on the 67 as well as the interior, right down to the grab bar is more aggressive looking on the 67. The only reason the 66 out sold the 67 was because it did not have the competition the 67 did. Camaro's etc.. grabbed a bunch of sales away from the 67 and put a real hurting on the GTO sales.

The front bumper you can get away with, the rear bumper is different on the 66 GTO and 67 GTO. 67 GTO rear bumper has square cut outs for back up lights. The 66 has round cut outs.

Kevin, I am glad you are seeing the light. You will be in way over your head to try and convert the car into a 67 look alike. You are better off posting an ad for a swap with someone as I suggested if you want a 67. Or just fix it as it is if you are fixed on that car as being your project. 66 was a great year and I think the thought alone will leave your Dad speechless.
I recently built a 67 with a ground pounding 462 all chromed out beautifully, so the parts and ideas are still fresh in my memory. Feel free to pick my brain anytime.
Best of luck with your build.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg

Last edited by YVEYANT; 03-01-2009 at 06:12 PM.