Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default battery question from the noob

I've been chasing down a weird start problem and decided to redo/clean all the battery connections and grounds, in the course of this I noticed the battery was low on water to the point the tops of the plates inside were exposed by 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch.
I need to fill it up but was wondering how much to fill it. The battery is a few years old and I have never messed with it, maybe this is the cause of my intermittent no start problem.
I cannot recall the make of the battery at the moment. There is no fill line on the sides of the battery I can see.

Also I am lazy and do not want to get distilled water. I want to use the reverse osmosis water I use on my saltwater tank changes since I have like 20 gallone lying around, that will work right?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've gotten a few repro batteries in the past. They've all recommended filling the battery with water just over the plates and not too much more.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
I've gotten a few repro batteries in the past. They've all recommended filling the battery with water just over the plates and not too much more.
X2,
Sometimes to the bottom of the hole, the plastic from the hole will go down about 1/2" to 3/4" and you fill it until it touches that.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

fill battery to the bottom of the plastic holes the reason to use distilled water is there is no impurties in the water if it is an old battery by being that low on water it is probably boiling the water out because the battery is sulfated replace it now before it leaves you stranded. If it is not too old and the water level is below the plates you need to have the charging system checked as it is probably overcharging i use regular tap water and it makes little different difference if it is good? tap water with out a lot of iron or calcium or it stinks like sulfur

Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was an older battery about 4 years since i looked at it last, Filled it up and it charged up just fine, Thanks.