Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default No fire~help

I replaced the dash and lamp harness during the restoration of my '66 GTO.At the time I didn't make sure the engine harness was connected correctly BEFORE we put the front fenders and hood on.I could never get them correctly connected.

Fast forward. I later unhooked the dash harness at the firewall and pulled it inside the drivers side floor.I bought a new engine harness hooked everything up and with a little work I was able to connect it correctly with the dash harness.

The engine will crank but not fire.there is no voltage at the coil with the ignition switch on.I used a voltmeter to check voltage at the metal terminals in the engine harness and there was none at any of the terminals.

I have changed the ignition switch with a known good oneAlso I am using Pertronix 2 also.
I don't know what to do?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You just need to trace the wiring. You need to have 12 volts going to the ignition switch. If you have voltage at the switch, the problem is somewhere in the switch or after. If you don't have voltage to the switch, then the problem is somewhere between battery and switch. There could be a problem in the fusible link in the engine wiring harness.

Check for voltage at each terminal on the engine side of the block with the key both in start position and run position. Alternative is to install a separate ignition switch- could be hidden as an anti-theft device.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I did get the engine to fire and start!I must have not pushed the "new"ignition switch prongs all the way in the terminals.

Weird thing is I tried each metal terminal on the engine harness for voltage and I never showed any.(switch on)