Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Default Anybody know anything about PH testers

Testing my ph tester in 4.0 Buffer solution and its jumping around all over the place from 3.3 to 4.7. Never staying put.Does buffer solutions go bad?? Mine is 3 yrs old.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buffer solution should be replaced every year. I have used 3 year old solution without problems though. pH probes do go bad after a while for various reasons. Try leaving the probe in water or the buffer overnight and see if it settles down. Is this a battery-powered instrument? Stray voltage can make readings jump around, but this is more common with externally powered units.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Thank You very much for that input, i just removed my probe after 3 hrs. from the 4.0 Buffer and doing same thing. Ill try overnite.Are the probes replacable or not worth it??

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

pH probes only last 18 months to 2 years. Shorter if they get contaminated, coated with gunk, or left to dry out. It's normal to replace them when they won't calibrate anymore.

Readings jumping around is often a sign of electrical interference. pH is a very low level signal and will pick up anything if the wiring isn't well shielded. If it's a hand held instrument and using it in a different location makes no difference, then I would suspect a bad probe or possibly a problem with the instrument.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Suspended

ok, i can,t find any info on probes, how do you change them????

Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck googling the model name & number and finding the instruction manual.

Some very inexpensive hand-held units with the probe built into the housing are throwaway products.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Suspended

I paid 30.00$ for mine and afraid thats what i have to. soaked overnite in 7.0 buffer and still doing same thing, Time to say good bye to it!!