Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Chief

Default Any idea what year timing cover I have?

My engine is a 67 but the timing cover has got the 11 bolt water pump. Near as I can tell (the number is hard to see, especially with my eyes) the number is 492883(?), and it has a larger 3 stamped below it. I would like to either replace it with the proper one for a 67, or perform the fix that George K has suggested for the later style (if that's what I have).

I don't recall that it had the same baffle plate inside that looks like are used on the later pumps, and it didnt have two plates like the eariler ones. Now my not knowing anything about pontiacs before this project, I may have duplicated what someone else had done incorrectly to this engine before it got to me. It's kinda hard to see but this is th only picture I have of it before I closed it up. There was no second plate, and this plate was completely contained within the timing cover housing.

What I am guessing has happened is someone put the wrong plate in this motor before I got it, and I did the same. So, I guess what I am asking is what plate set up should be in this timing cover?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	111223  

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like the old style (64-68) timing cover for 8 bolt water pump to me. The divider plates required for that are pictured below.

The new style (69 and later) looks like this and requires this divider plate along with these water pump sleeves.

Here is a photo of an 8 bolt water pump. Followed by an 11 bolt water pump.

All the images I posted came from, and the items can be purchased from Butler Performance.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"

Last edited by johnsma22; 11-13-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Chief

OK, so it seems I have the later style timing cover, and half of the early style plates. The timing cover in the pic looks just like mine. When you put the correct (later) plate and sleeves in do you use 2 gaskets?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I see now. That photo you posted had me confused. I can see now that one of the holes in the later style cover is blocked off by the old style divider plate. It's difficult to see that in the small photo.

Yes you do use the two gaskets. The sleeves go into the timing cover, a gasket then goes on the timing cover, then the divider plate, then another gasket and then the water pump.

Make sure to trial fit the water pump, divider plate and gasket and check the clearance between the divider plate and the water pump impeller with a feeler gauge. Tightening up the clearance to .1" or less will help the flow immensely. Mine was .300" and I closed it down to about .050". I set the divider plate on corner of a block of wood and used a ball peen hammer to gently ease the last inch or so to close up the clearance.

In the back of Jim Hand's book, "How to build max performance pontiac V-8s", he details the divider plate clearancing procedure. Here is a scan of the page if you don't have the book.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"

Last edited by johnsma22; 11-13-2007 at 02:27 AM.