Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 PM

Bought a 76 Firebird (with the drivetrain in it from a 79TA) and the rolling chasis left from the 79TA a couple months ago from a friend and now I feel my newbie self might have gone a little overboard for my experience and funds. I'll warn you this is gonna be a long ass post so here we go.

76 Firebird is supposed to have the 79TA motor and tranny in it. The motor is indeed a Pontiac 400 as evident by the 400 castings I've found on the block but that motor only came with a 4spd back in 79 which the car didn't have. I was told it was a TH400 in it but found out today it's a good ol' TH350. When I put the front end up it started leaking oil quite steadily from the drain hole in cover that goes over the area b/w the motor and tranny. Pull the cover and looks like I have quite the oil leak going on (not sure what exactly it is but assuming it's a rear main seal.) Also checked out the tie rods and center link and it looks like those are f'd as well. I also have a mystery oil leak coming from the area above where the filter hooks in. The flange where the exhaust manifold hooks to the down pipe for the exhaust a bolt is snapped off causing a bad seal and a nice smokey leak when the engine is running. The carb needs a re-build on it since it slowly drips gas out of the front (baffle? don't know if I have the term right.) Kick down cable is hooked into the tranny (looks right to me) but not to the carb. Wiring is crazy just in general from a bad motor swap. Casting numbers other than 400 really can't be made out on the block from the re-paint. I guess that's all the engine woes.

As I was digging around under the car today I saw a small piece of loose metal, pulled it clean out, hmmm that's rusty, keep feeling and removing the rusted section... I can now reach through the front of the driver's floor pan with like 4 of my fingers There is also slight rust on the back quarter panels but nothing horrid.

Rear end is bone stock and has some surface rust over the majority of it. It's a 10 bolt, non-posi, and that' about all I know. I was a little to pissed about the tranny and giant hole to even check it out.

Interior is in fairly good condition not that I give a crap (driver seat, steering wheel, and working windows is all I need) wait.... I only have 2 of the 3 of those working. Guauges are pretty much f'd just not working and the ones that are aren't working well. POS has power windows that in true GM fashion don't work worth an F'!

I have like zip experience on cars other than working on my chebby 305 in my 78 bird. I have basic knowledge but all of this seems overwhelming at the moment and I'm not sure if I am willing to put the cash and time into this car.

So what's your .02 did I bite off more than I could chew. Ball park a guesstimate of the time and cashola I'm going to have to dump into this beast to even make it reliable to drive. If I do decide to sell it what's a fair asking price for it. I just keep thinking that at this point in my life (married 21 year old sales guy, soon to be in management with even less time on his hands) I should just look for a reliable 2nd car and put my extra cash toward debt, mistakes of youth, downpayment on a house, all that fun ****. I basically have 300-400 cash every month to put into it.

Any and all help, questions, concerns, etc etc etc all are appreciated. Thanks.

~Mike

Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 PM

Bought a 76 Firebird (with the drivetrain in it from a 79TA) and the rolling chasis left from the 79TA a couple months ago from a friend and now I feel my newbie self might have gone a little overboard for my experience and funds. I'll warn you this is gonna be a long ass post so here we go.

76 Firebird is supposed to have the 79TA motor and tranny in it. The motor is indeed a Pontiac 400 as evident by the 400 castings I've found on the block but that motor only came with a 4spd back in 79 which the car didn't have. I was told it was a TH400 in it but found out today it's a good ol' TH350. When I put the front end up it started leaking oil quite steadily from the drain hole in cover that goes over the area b/w the motor and tranny. Pull the cover and looks like I have quite the oil leak going on (not sure what exactly it is but assuming it's a rear main seal.) Also checked out the tie rods and center link and it looks like those are f'd as well. I also have a mystery oil leak coming from the area above where the filter hooks in. The flange where the exhaust manifold hooks to the down pipe for the exhaust a bolt is snapped off causing a bad seal and a nice smokey leak when the engine is running. The carb needs a re-build on it since it slowly drips gas out of the front (baffle? don't know if I have the term right.) Kick down cable is hooked into the tranny (looks right to me) but not to the carb. Wiring is crazy just in general from a bad motor swap. Casting numbers other than 400 really can't be made out on the block from the re-paint. I guess that's all the engine woes.

As I was digging around under the car today I saw a small piece of loose metal, pulled it clean out, hmmm that's rusty, keep feeling and removing the rusted section... I can now reach through the front of the driver's floor pan with like 4 of my fingers There is also slight rust on the back quarter panels but nothing horrid.

Rear end is bone stock and has some surface rust over the majority of it. It's a 10 bolt, non-posi, and that' about all I know. I was a little to pissed about the tranny and giant hole to even check it out.

Interior is in fairly good condition not that I give a crap (driver seat, steering wheel, and working windows is all I need) wait.... I only have 2 of the 3 of those working. Guauges are pretty much f'd just not working and the ones that are aren't working well. POS has power windows that in true GM fashion don't work worth an F'!

I have like zip experience on cars other than working on my chebby 305 in my 78 bird. I have basic knowledge but all of this seems overwhelming at the moment and I'm not sure if I am willing to put the cash and time into this car.

So what's your .02 did I bite off more than I could chew. Ball park a guesstimate of the time and cashola I'm going to have to dump into this beast to even make it reliable to drive. If I do decide to sell it what's a fair asking price for it. I just keep thinking that at this point in my life (married 21 year old sales guy, soon to be in management with even less time on his hands) I should just look for a reliable 2nd car and put my extra cash toward debt, mistakes of youth, downpayment on a house, all that fun ****. I basically have 300-400 cash every month to put into it.

Any and all help, questions, concerns, etc etc etc all are appreciated. Thanks.

~Mike

Old 08-17-2003, 03:02 PM
On Vacation

You shoulda found all that before you bought it. If you have no time, or $, forget-a-bout-it.

You want a cheap, reliable, 64,000 original mile 81 Firebird that I can deliver to your door (a driver) at the end of September? Shoot me an e-mail.

I'm like heaven, everybody wanna get to me.........

Old 08-17-2003, 07:59 PM

Is this car your daily driver? If it is, you might want to get a project car with a better starting point. If it's not a daily driver, keep it! There's only 1 way to gain experience and it will be fun! If you can take it slow, the time and funds aren't as critical to getting the project done. I just bought a second (4th ) car so I can spend more time on my project TA. It's entirely up to you but if you CAN do it, you SHOULD do it.

Searching for a clever signature

Old 08-17-2003, 11:06 PM

Car is not my current daily driver but in the near future I will need one (current DD is a 78 bird with a chebby 305, TH350, 2.41 gears) I would like it, the 76, to become my DD but I don't know if it's really feasible. Might have to pick up car # 3

A lot of other X-factors are involved, mainly needed to bitch and have somebody tell me to shut the f' up, learn, ask, use this forum, etc etc etc One of my friends stepped up, gave me a kick in the ass and kind of eased the overpowering feeling of it all.

I do agree I should have checked over the car much more thoroughly but the hole in the floor of the driver's pan got to me the most, pulled back that little flap of rust proofing stuff that was hanging and opened Pandora's Box. I guess better now than later when going to smash the brakes and putting the pedal through the floor.

Thanks guys. Believe me you're going to see a million and half questions coming in the future.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:00 AM

My 76 cost 750.00 and had no floors, and didn't run. After rebuilding the motor for street performance and all the ball joints, rear work, tires, brakes, motor mounts, wiring, floor pans, POR-15 coating and body shop paint, not to mention the seats, dash, and well... you get the idea, I'm up to just under 15K and three years of work.

If you ain't got the funds to start it, then bail out now.

Old 09-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car sounds like its in the condition where it would really pay to pull it apart and fix everything - do it once and do it right. I wouldn't even think about using that engine without pulling it down to at least freshen it a bit and new gaskets/seals. You can get a new viton (sp) rear main seal now for Pontiac engines that gets around the old leaking rear main problem.
As the guys have said, theres lots of cash to be spent on this car and lots of time. Realistically, how much time can you afford to give to the project. I've seen half done cars sitting for 10 years in a garage because the owner never really has time.
Perhaps another idea is to store it and the parts car and then slowly accumulate the parts necessary to restore it. Then when you're older and can afford the cash outlay, have someone rebuild it for you. Often when someone has a good job that takes a lot of their time, they're better off concentrating on their own job and paying someone to work on the car. Just an idea.

Regards,
Leigh
1976 Trans Am
1970 RS/SS Camaro
Sydney, Australia

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-05-2003, 05:03 AM

Mike,

Do you really like the car? If the car is your passion, I say get to work. If not, then bail fast. If you decide to rebuild it, you are talking some serious $$. Double or triple the cost if you can not do the work yourself. Do you have a garage to park it in and work. Trying to refurbish a car in a driveway is NO fun and darn near impractical.

Regarding resale...unless it is a rare car you will not see all the money you put into it. Do it because you love the car and it is your hobby!

Trumpeter

74 Trans Am
89 Mustang GT CSP