Old 03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 Seat Foam

Hello all, I have been looking at my seats lately, and have new covers for them, but have been debating about whether or not to replace the foam. The condition of the foam is pretty bad (IMO) on the driver's side, and ok on the pass side. What I am wondering is has anyone used the repro seat foam for '70 models? I see Ames has it, for $155 a pair, and the price alone makes me question the quality. Classic has it for roughly the same price as the rest of their foam, and it is made by ACI (I think it is anyway, their catalog is not clear), for $255 a pair, which I will gladly pay if the quality is decent. I would rather buy from our host, but I do not think they carry '70 seat foam. I will double check. So it all boils down to: Has anyone used the '70 repro foam, and what was their feelings regarding the quality? I can post pics of my seats to determine per you guys if replacement is necessary.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not have a 70, but rather a 73. I bought from classic and was happy. You will notice a huge diff. after you change your cushions. Just remember to put burlap between the piano wire and cushion and buy a zillion hog rings.

Chris.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not seen any repop seat foam for 1970's... but a couple years ago (when I was about to recover my seats), I was warned that the reproduction foams were of inferior quality... definatly get some confirmation wiht either supplier as to what they have... it turned out that my original seat foam wasnt that bad...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one thing that can help when using the original foam....buy some 1/2" foam from a upholstery shop. If you add this 1/2" on top of the original foam, it will add back some of the thickness you may have lost through compression throughout the years. You just spray glue it on top of the original foam. This is done in theupholstery shops all the time.