Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Default 77 T/A 4 speed question

I just purchased a 4 speed car with the stock Super T-10 and stock shifter. Problem is I cant get into reverse. Do I have to pull out or push in on the shifter? I cant even get the shifter to move to the left to access reverse. All forward gears work fine. Im sure its shifter or linkage problem, but I would like to know the correct precedure. Thank you

Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put the shifter in the neutral gate (position) & pull it straight across to the left as far as you can & then head towards the dash.
If that doesn't work,the first thing to check is the back drive/reverse lock out linkage.
It goes from the steering column (behind brake booster) to a pivot on the frame & then back to the reverse tab on the transmission.
If backdrive rod/linkage appears to be bent,disconnect from reverse tab & try reverse again.
GOOD LUCK!