Old 04-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many different consoles were made for the 2nd generation Firebirds. I have 3 different styles and have to find the insert for the under the dash part console insert for one.

One I have is totally sealed with the same material as the console.
The other 3 I have use a plastic insert.

But the one I'm trying to use (same color as my interior) takes the plastic insert but doesn't have the screw location underneath and is narrower. What's up with that?
What do I have? And does anyone have the insert that will work?

Old 04-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many different consoles were made for the 2nd generation Firebirds. I have 3 different styles and have to find the insert for the under the dash part console insert for one.

One I have is totally sealed with the same material as the console.
The other 3 I have use a plastic insert.

But the one I'm trying to use (same color as my interior) takes the plastic insert but doesn't have the screw location underneath and is narrower. What's up with that?
What do I have? And does anyone have the insert that will work?

Old 04-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the one that is "totally sealed", --i take it you mean it has a full pocket where the plastic insert normally goes-- is likely from a camaro--they also don't have the metal brackets to attach to the underside of the dash. never heard of the consoles being narrower. is just the opening narrower? i wonder if you've got some that were fitted for 8-track or cassette and one that wasn't--the narrower one? just supposition, i've always thought the consoles didn't change at all over the years.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 AM

The console in my 81 is "sealed". The computer fits under the console so the pocket wasn't available. I have a Camaro console at the shop I will check it tonight to see if it is narrower.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

defektive--so there's no pocket at all at the front of it? never saw one of those. the one's i'm referring to have the pocket molded in fully--seamless from the rest of the console--what i've always been told and seen as being from a camaro, vs the pontiac style where you have the plastic pocket inserted in a big gaping holea t the front of the console.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok here ya go:
Yes the solid pocket filled one coulda come out of a Camaro, as It was bought at a swap meet and black, so it fit and looked like the rest of the firebird consoles. It wore out and past the point of repair so I decided to install another one. I have 4 so I grabbed one without a slide in plastic pocket that was black. Maybe that's why it had no console? And of course I used this one.
I decided to take one of the plastic pockets out of one of the other consoles as they are the wrong color but still in good shape to sell.
Here the problem. It won't fit in the same "looking" hole. The hole is about 1/4 to 1/2" narrower and doesn't have the 2 screw holes to mount it in the front bottom metal bar. It does have one in the bottom middle thou. The top ones are there. Besides if the holes were there, it's to narrow for the pocket to slide in.
I looked at the other 3 i have and they are all the same with 4 screw to mount the plastic console piece. So that's why I was wonder if thru the years they made changes and how many and what years. I ned to install a console to hide those wires hanging down under the dash to my electronics and such. Plus it's wide open.
Were Camaros all different?
I'm so confused. LOL.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The camaro's had a molded pocket from 73 to 80, the 70/72 Camaro's had an "n" shaped shifter. The Firebirds had a removable pocket, until 80 or so when the computers came out.

For your car, you need a black, hard plastic removable tray console.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. The current console I have in my T/A won't allow the other console pockets I have in the 4 others to fit. It is narrower where the side brackets are located (So the other units won't even start to slide it to screw down) and do not have the holes drilled in the lower plate to mount it. Just one hole in the middle but 2 at the top as normal.
I need a front console plastic pocket to fit this somewhat different console.

So I'm the only one that ever ran into this?

Old 04-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

DUDE mabey someone cut out molded in section? just a thought ,I could use a good map pocket in blk, seprate style.email me @ jafritsch@hotmail.com

Old 04-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

only other thought i had was maybe it was a camaro one with a cutout for a tape player. don't know if such a things exists though. or like nw sd said, someone's custom work. why not jsut trim it out? i'll bet it's teh nicest one you have, isn't it? ;~)

Old 04-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No. What is happeneing is that the other 4 plastic inserts I have won't fit into that one particulat opening in the console. The plastic console pocket inserts I have are wider then the opening. The height is Ok. Just the width on this one and only console.

It's the metal side pieces just inside the molded console that are in the way. Plus there are no holes along the bottom metal rail to mount the bottom of the plactic insert.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could it be bent? only other thought is aftermarket? poss. did,nt they make a reproduction at some time , might this be one?

Old 04-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to add to the confusion. Went and bent the side tabs back and the plastic insert still wouldn't fit. The opening is 1/2" narrower!!!!!!!!!!!

The other 3 consoles are just under 8" and this one is less the 7 1/2"
Has bottom metal bar with only one hole in the middle to put a screw thru and side metal pieces with 2 holes each in them?

So nobody has a clue what the deal is? Where are all the experts?

Old 05-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Hi,, Could this be a console from a 1980 TURBO TA? 80 Turbo consoles had a plastic plate covering the hole that would normally hold the map pocket. This plastic plate sometimes held a dimmer switch for the hood mounted turbo lights but was actually intended to hide the knock sensor computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo_console_1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	7676  

1980 Turbo TA SE running a 1976 400

1977 W72 4-Speed hardtop ( custom restoration in progress)
Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. That's exactly what my console looks like. Has those do-hickies on each side.

So I guess a turbo console is different then the rest.

Send your name/address to:

pontiacracingldk@hotmail.com

and will send you a Dude Shirt........ If ya want one.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow. good to know info,Thanks

Old 08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default update!!

To get the map pocket from the non-turbo console to fit into a 1980 turbo model all you need to do is remove the console, flip it over and drill out the four factory rivets that secure the top bracket that prevents the pocket from fitting into the console. There are two that attach to the console ears and two that are located along the flat part of the pocket opening. You have to leave the bottom flat bracket that the upper bracket attached to in place as the pockets two lower screws need this for fastening purposes. It also holds the mounting bracket for the ECM. The top screws of the pocket will mount to the console side bracket and it bolts right in perfectly like the standard console.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bracket you are removing and where the console rivets are on the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	138311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	138312