Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help me ID this Rochester :)

I have a stash of carbs that I am looking to downsize, and as time has permitted, I have been correcting & assembling (not to be confused with rebuilding) my pre-smog Pontiac carbs.

It has been my observation that for the 1972-1974 Rochester quadrajets the 1974 GTO/automatic quadrajet (7044268) has a unique throttle lever, as the conventional location for the throttle return spring has been modified and enlarged to permit a TH350 kickdown bracket to mount, and still allow room for the throttle return spring;
I had presumed and/or understood that this was the case because between 1970 & 1974 the P350 was never offered with a 4bbl carb - except for the '74 GTO.

Now, was replacing some missing parts on what I presumed to be a full sized car 4bbl (7043266), and comparing it to my correct for a Firebird 455/4bbl carb (7043262), when I happened to notice that the '266 carb has the same throttle bracket as the '268.

Now, it is possible that purely by chance I have identified that this remanufactured carb has received a rather rare '74 GTO/auto baseplate, but I'm guessing that this is unlikely...

Can someone please give me the original application for this 7043266 carburetor?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 7043266 q jet...

Late 1973 Pontiac A F and G cars 400 ci auto trans and flows 750 cfm...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been privileged to get into several massive stocks of nos correct dated, rochestor rebuilts, & mass rebuilder rebuilt muscle era Q-jets. During this time, have ran across numerous '72-74 Pontiac Q-jets that have been through mass rebuilders & the throttle shafts had been swapped into other usage Pontiac throttle bodys. On another front, many times Rochestor service replacement Q-jets while having the correct throttle shaft, used later application part number (in the little circle) throttle bodies.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post
Late 1973 Pontiac A F and G cars 400 ci auto trans and flows 750 cfm...
weird, I looked and didn't see it in my (1976 dated) Firebird MPC!?

I was guessing it was a 400/auto, because the same '266 is used for 1974.

Thanks guys!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Have been privileged to get into several massive stocks of nos correct dated, rochestor rebuilts, & mass rebuilder rebuilt muscle era Q-jets. During this time, have ran across numerous '72-74 Pontiac Q-jets that have been through mass rebuilders & the throttle shafts had been swapped into other usage Pontiac throttle bodys. On another front, many times Rochestor service replacement Q-jets while having the correct throttle shaft, used later application part number (in the little circle) throttle bodies.
I've seen some weird modifications from remanufactured Quadrajets - which is wjy I generally stay FARR away from them...
My most recent, will be my guinea pig carb;
It's an OEM '0263, that was butchered, and not only was a vacuum line added to the main body, but the chevy truck style baseplate vacuum line was also added;
I've decided to build this one to '0273 specs - and use for PSMCD;
I just finished plugging and filing the added vacuum lines, and adding the correct primary butterflies